Sunday, June 25, 2006

Family Gatherings

Donna and I went to her dad’s family reunion today. The event was at the park in Redkey, Indiana. 53 people attended, which seems pretty good for the packed schedules most people keep today.

It was refreshing. As a Police Chaplain, I have had very good training, mostly from officers I was with while they were on patrol. They have taught me some very good lessons about personal safety.

Today there were no pressures. No need to peek around corners or watch what people were doing with their hands.

Officers on patrol don’t like to have the people around them put their hands in their pockets; too many possibilities lurking in there. Not once today did I hear anyone say, “Keep your hands out of your pockets.” (My mother used to tell me that and not to slouch -- but that was different.)

Times to relax and unwind are so valuable. The Scripture teaches us that.


Acts 3:19 says, “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord.” We usually think about other people who need to repent of adultery, murder or bad fashion. Have you considered repenting of your packed schedule in order to enjoy a time of refreshing from the Lord?

I’m glad I did.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»