Thursday, June 15, 2006

My Friend Dan

Dan Coffey was the Sr. Chaplain for the Fort Wayne Police Department for 13 years. I met him last September when I started talking to the leadership of Christ's Hope Ministries and Church about being their Sr. Minister. I contacted Dan because I wanted to continue serving as a Police Chaplain.

Dan is a very gracious person. He was excited about the prospect of having someone new join the team. He is a natural encourager. We worked well together, accomplished some projects, made some plans and had lots of laughs.

In mid-April, Dan left us to be the full-time Chaplain for the Indiana State Police. It was a great opportunity for Dan and his family. It is a really good move for the ISP.

I could write several pages about all that Dan did and the sacrifices he and his family made for FWPD. However, I think I can summarize it better this way:

As I introduce myself to one of the 400 sworn officers of FWPD, I put on my most winning smile, stick out my hand and say, “Hi, I’m Erick Riddle.” This is usually accepted with a well practice, but genial, glare. I continue to identify myself with my title: “The Chief recently appointed me to be the new Sr. Chaplain.” The glare softens. The officer shifts his/her gaze. Sometimes there is an inarticulate grunting sound.

I soon realized I needed some help to “win friends and influence people.”

Now I add, “I’m taking Dan Coffey’s place!”

The first time I said that, I felt what a Las Vegas slot machine player must feel. The officer’s eyes flashed like strobe lights and he began making very happy sounds. The litany usually begins with, “Oh yeah, Chaplain Coffey. He’s a great guy. I like him.” And it usually concludes with them looking at my size 9 Rockports and saying, “You’ve got some really big shoes to fill!”

So - Dan, have a great time with the ISP. Continue to do great ministry with wonderful people. May God bless you. And please – be careful where you leave your footprints. Someone will be following you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Erick,
I was one of your students at the Indianalopis ATS and wanted to say thank you aging for your presentation and humor. Hopefully at this point FWPD is beginning to realize that the shoe size between you and Dan is as great as they first thought. I have been asked by my team leader in the hospital setting to share some of what I learned. As a currant on respit CISM member I will try and put together a brief overlay of what You share for my learning experience.
God bless,
Harvey