Monday, June 19, 2006

Plenty of Time

Looking at the world between the camera and radar devices on the windshield of a police patrol car has shaped me. I have seen the world from a different perspective. In many ways, the changes have been positive. My education is broader, my experiences varied and my skills refined.

At the same time, I have realized from the first few months that I began to volunteer as a Police Chaplain that not all of the changes were good. For example, although I am more aware of my surroundings, I am less trusting. Although I still have empathy for people, I am more skeptical.

I am at church camp this week at Lake James Christian Assembly, near Angola, Indiana, with kids going into grades 8 & 9. Lee Bracey is in charge of the program for the week. Lee was a “dorm dad” when I was here for a week when I was in Jr. High.

It has been great working with Lee. He has been a real help. He is bringing some balance to my lopsided attitudes. Lee is the Executive Director of the Woodburn Christian Children’s Home. He loves and understands children.

In response to some wisecrack I made, Lee said something profound. Get a pen, you will want to write this down. “They have plenty of time to develop their own bitterness.”

His point is, we need to fill the hearts and minds of the young people we encounter with hope for the future. They will have many opportunities to choose attitudes of joy or bitterness. Our role is fill them with enthusiasm and optimism for their future.

No comments: