Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Wear Your Own Clothes

I am at Lake James Christian Assembly with kids entering grades 8 & 9. I’m having a great time! I am the evening chapel speaker and I get to sleep an air conditioned room all by myself.

Yesterday I ate breakfast at a table with a girl in a yellow sweatshirt. There were names and such written all over it, even on the hood. I asked, “Did you friends sign your shirt on the last day of school?”

She looked at me blearily and said, “Huh?” (Cut her some slack. It was breakfast on Tuesday and she was already short on sleep.) Then she said, “Oh, no.” Pause. “It’s not my shirt. I borrowed it from a girl in my dorm.”

Kids at camp do that. We did when we were kids. It was cool.

Cool for campers. But maybe not so good for everyday life. In my sermon tonight, I warned the campers that when faced with a challenge they need to be genuine. Even as a young man, David understood that.

As he was going to face Goliath, King Saul wanted to put his own armor on David.

"I cannot go in these," he said to Saul, "because I am not used to them." So he took them off. Then he took his staff in his hand, chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd's bag and, with his sling in his hand, approached the Philistine. (1 Samuel 17:39-40)

David fought Goliath just as he was – a simple shepherd boy who depended on God.

When we are faced with challenges, we will do well to follow David’s example. Be who you are. Be the best you are. Go with God.

No comments: