Wednesday, June 14, 2006

It’s the Little Things

The Fort Wayne Police Department is blessed with a great liaison officer. Tom Rhoades is always available when I need something and works really hard to make the Chaplain program a success.

He returned a phone call to me to day just as I pulled up to a substation. We talked about our business and then he offered some encouragement. He told me he had been hearing good things about my ministry with the department. He talked to some people I had ridden with on patrol. A Deputy Chief mentioned to him that he liked the results of a project I had completed.

He just wanted to pass that along.

That meant a great deal. It was especially meaningful because I am new with this department and still trying to learn my way around. Police officers are not generally trusting people and it is often challenging to be accepted in their ranks.

I wanted to post this because it was a really good thing for me. I also want to encourage you to encourage someone today. Simply comment on something in a positive way. Tell someone he or she is doing a good job. Say thank you.

Encouragement is fun to receive and to give!

No comments: