Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A Day in the Sun

Shortly before 2:30 last Sunday afternoon, a car pulled out in front of a motorcycle on St. Joe Center Road. An otherwise warm summer afternoon turned tragic.

As of this writing, the motorcycle rider is in critical condition.

Shortly after arriving at the scene, I was directed to the young woman who was driving the car. I spoke to her for a few moments and offered a little comfort and some encouragement.

The majority of the time I invested at the scene was with officers. The girl had family to support her and my ministry is primarily to officers. We chatted and I met some people for the first time.

Then I performed what might have been my most significant ministry of the day. On a Sunday, after teaching and preaching, after having people hug me and tell me the sermon was stirring, my most significant ministry might have been to walk to a Walgreens and buy a dozen bottles of water.

The officers who were interviewing witnesses, directing traffic and taking photos of the aftermath were very grateful to get the water.

I am taking the statement of Jesus a little out of context to apply it here, but I could not help but remember what the Savior said:

“If anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.” (Matthew 10:42)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»