Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Ray of Sunshine

I was making some neighborly talk with a married couple today about the weather. I asked if they were out to enjoy the sunshine today. It was a gorgeous day. Warm but not hot. A gentle breeze blowing.

She had been outdoors with some small children playing in the fresh air. She asked if I had been outside. I gleefully admitted that I had been.

I was less gleeful about where I was while soaking up the rays.

There was no traffic on the residential street where we were standing. And several of us knew each other. But there wasn’t much time to chat; not even about the weather.

A 27 year old man lay dead in a vacant lot just a few yards. Our city’s 12th homicide of the year took the breeze out of our sail.

I have told a family member of the death of a loved one more than 50 times. It is one of the roles of a Police Chaplain. It isn’t easy. It is emotionally and physically draining.

Yet, there is a ray of sunshine to it. I was able to offer some comfort to some people who were in terrible distress. I offered more than the police officer with me could. He had some information about times and places. And that helps.

I was in a position to offer some quiet words, a hug and a prayer. Perhaps that ministry was even a ray of sunshine to some people in a very dark place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»