Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Some Fun Stuff

Today I got to do one of the fun things a law enforcement Chaplain gets to do. I saw a healthy baby!

A police department employee is a new mother and I went to the hospital to see mom, dad and the baby. He is a healthy boy who is eating and sleeping.

I went to pray. I prayed for the mother’s recovery. I prayed for the dad to have wisdom. I prayed for the baby to grow up healthy and strong and close to Jesus.

I went to demonstrate to the new parents that the Chaplain genuinely cares about them.

I also went for me. I try not to miss any opportunity. I want to make the best of every moment as a Chaplain, as a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, as a follower of Jesus Christ I don’t want to miss anything.

However, being able to do something lighthearted with lots of smiles is a little bit rare for police Chaplains. Much of what we do involves people who are frustrated, sad, in pain or dead. So I made the most of fussing over a healthy baby!

It was part of being obedient to the instruction of Ephesians 5:15-16:

Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.

No comments: